- four 9” round layer pans
- large mixer bowl
- vegetable peeler
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1-3/4 cups and 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, used separately
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup and 3/4 cup soft margarine, used separately
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate
- 2 bars (4 ounces each) Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, used separately
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
Making the Cake
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease sides and bottom of four 9” round layer pans. Measure into large mixer bowl: 1-3/4 cups flour, 1-3/4 cups sugar, 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 2/3 cup soft margarine, 4 squares (1 ounce each) Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate melted and cooled, 1-1/4 cups water and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat at low speed to blend, then 2 minutes at medium. Add 3 eggs; beat 2 minutes. Pour 1/4 of batter (about 1 cup) in each pan. Bake 15-18 minutes. Cool slightly, remove from pans and cool thoroughly.
Chocolate Filling: Melt 1-1/2 bars (4 ounces each) Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate over hot water. Cool. Blend in 3/4 cup soft margarine. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds.
Cream Filling: Beat 1 cup whipping cream with 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Whip until stiff, but do not over beat.
Putting It Together
Place layer of cake on serving plate. Spread with 1/2 chocolate filling. Layer cake, cream filling, cake, chocolate filling, cake, and cream filling. Do not frost sides. Using vegetable peeler make chocolate curls with remaining 1/2 bar and decorate top. Wrap with Saran Wrap and refrigerate or freeze.