It looks like there is finally an honest newspaper columnist — and a Democrat to boot — regarding the credit / housing melt down. Orson Scott Card, a newspaper columnist and a Democrat lays out the history of the current economic disaster and makes it clear who is to blame — and ultimately the blame belongs with the Democrats and with Barack Obama.
The salient points that Mr. Card makes include:
- Under Clinton (1990s) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were authorized to approve risky loans for [Democrat] political purposes.
- The Republicans tried to tighten regulation to prevent the disaster, but the Democrats were able to block such efforts.
- Freddie and Fannie — while receiving government funds as quasi-governmental agencies — were donating big time to those who were able to funnel money their way (and Barack Obama was one of the largest recipients).
- Alan Greenspan tried to warn congress.
- Bush’s Treasury Secretary tried to warn congress.
- Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats [falsely] accused the Bush administration of causing the problem and the news media repeats the lie and damns the Republicans for objecting to the lie.
I was taught while growing up that the news media and free press were there to protect us from government tyranny. Unfortunately, the established news outlets have abdicated their role as objective reporters of the truth and have taken on the mantel of advocacy, even if they have to lie to do it.
It’s no wonder that the term journalist is a slur and they are even less respected than lawyers.